Sarah Morelli, Scholarship
- Forthcoming. Tales of a Modern Guru: Pandit Chitresh Das and Indian Classical Dance in Diaspora. Champaign IL: University of Illinois Press.
- 2016 “‘A Superior Race of Strong Women’: North Indian Classical Dance in the San Francisco Bay Area.” In The Music of Multicultural America: Performance, Identity, and Community in the United States. ed. Kip Lornell and Anne Rasmussen. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi. Second edition (First ed. Musics of Multicultural America, Schirmer, 1997).
- 2016. “Teaching Embodied Musickmaking: Pedagogical Perspectives from South Asian Music and Dance.” Second author with Natalie Sarrazin. College Music Symposium Forums. Vol. 56.
- 2015. Instructor’s Manual for Soundscapes: Exploring Music in a Changing World, 3rd edition by Kay Kaufman Shelemay. New York, NY: W.W. Norton.
- 2010. “Intergenerational Adaptation in North Indian Kathak Dance.” Anthropological Notebooks. 16(3): 77-91.
- 2001. “Who is a Dancing Hero? Rap, Hip-Hop and Dance in Korean Popular Culture.” In Global Noise: Rap and Hip-Hop Outside the USA. ed. Tony Mitchell. Hanover, NH: Wesleyan University Press: 248-258.
- 2014. “Musicking Bodies by Matthew Rahaim.” (Book review.) For Yearbook for Traditional Music.
- 2009. “Vanaja.” (Film review.) In Asian Educational Media Service: News and Reviews, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. 33(Fall): 4-5.
- 2004. “World Library of Folk and Primitive Music Vol. 7: India.” (Recording review.) Recorded by Alain Daniélou, from the Alan Lomax collection. Rounder Records CDROUN1755, 2002. In Ethnomusicology. 48(3): 475-478.
- 2006. “Kathak at the Crossroads: A Conversation with Pandit Chitresh Das.” In In Dance. (September): 1, 7.
- 2005. “Pusan.” (Encyclopedia article.) In Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, Vol. V: Asia and Oceania. ed. Shepherd et al. London: Continuum International Publishing Group: 49.
- 2001. Kathak Handbook. (Contributing editor, secondary author.) A 92-page text used in Kathak courses taught at Stanford University and San Francisco State University, at the Chhandam School of Kathak Dance, San Francisco, CA, and the Chhandika Institute of Kathak Arts, Boston, MA.
"'From Calcutta to California': Negotiations of Movement and Meaning in Kathak Dance." Harvard University, 2007.